Thursday 29 May 2014

Mum's turn!!

Well I s'pose it had to happen ..... Mum wants to take over my blog for a day. I gave it a lot of thought and decided I had to let her have her way. If I didn't she'd get all narky and wouldn't do my typing for me so I'll give you a bit of a run down on it and then hand it over to her.  I bet she says something about missing some of the  crafty blogs a few of your Moms did a while back. I've noticed your Mom's have been a bit quiet lately. Thank the Lord, I say, but Mum thinks differently! Anyway to get to the point ..... I've got a new mate C.L.W. Step. He's a real good bloke. You can find him here if you want to check him out:  

Crikey ..... she did it ..... she's tried before and failed. Every so often the old Secretary comes good, aye??   
I was getting to know Chester( (that's his name) and thought at first he was from New York city but turns out he is from New York State not the big smoke. Mum got all excited when she heard he was from New York state and wants to tell you about an experience she and Dad had there once. Boring said I but she wants to tell you so ..... in advance ...... Sorry!!!!!!! She'll ramble on..... she ALWAYS does. It might take a while to get to the New York state bit ...... Sorry, again!!!!!!!! Crikey ..... here's a few more. You're sure going to need 'em.    Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry sorry!!!!!!!!

C'mon Charlie .... that's NOT fair!!  I don't ramble that much .... DO I???????  Ok ..... I'll try and keep it short.

I'm not quite sure where Chester lives but I do so want to tell you about an experience my husband, youngest daughter (Jenni 11years) and I had in 1988. Jenni had been pestering us to take her to Disneyland for quite a few years and my husband decided that we would take her and have a bit of a look around other areas whilst there. 
Our Jen at Disneyland.  Rotten camera but Mum wanted to show you that she was there. Well Jen was!!
We had NEVER been to the States before. I'm a home body and it takes a lot to get me to go across the street let alone across the world. My husband planned everything as I turned into a grouchy monster, moaning and complaining all the time that we would all die and stating that the United States was full of crooks and  was just wall to wall concrete anyway and nobody in their right mind would want to go there.  Not very nice, I know, but it was my way of saying ...... I didn't want to go ..... I was scared!!!! Well ..... I went. Once I was on the plane my attitude changed and I decided that I would enjoy myself regardless and enjoy myself I did. How wrong was I about the U.S. We visited Disneyland and saw a lot of California and other parts of the west coast and then flew from Seattle to New York city. We spent a week there before hiring a car and heading upstate toward Niagara  Falls. OMD ..... the countryside, everywhere we went, was so beautiful. Where was all the concrete I had heard about and as for the people ..... OMD how wrong was I. The kindness we were shown, EVERYWHERE we went, EVEN in the big smoke, was unbelievable!!!!  We walked from one end of New York city to the other. We went on the underground and not once did we feel as if we had anything to worry about. People stopped and talked to us, gave us directions when we were lost and generally made us feel oh! ...  so welcome. But to get to the upstate New York thing. After leaving the city we didn't really have plans. We just knew approximately where we wanted to go so just headed off  and stopped when we found somewhere we felt looked nice. Our first stop  on our way to the falls was in a small town called Mount Morris. As we drove in we couldn't believe how beautiful it was. The homes were all so well cared for and there were American flags flying everywhere. We decided we would stay the night and drove around, slowly, taking it all in and looking for somewhere to stay. Whilst driving along we stopped a gentleman, who was out for an afternoon stroll, to ask him if he knew of any accommodation in which we could stay. He talked to us for a while and said we mustn't leave Mount Morris until we had seen a particular part of it. I can't remember the name now ..... it was a long time ago. He wanted to show it to us and to do this he would have to get in the car with our young daughter in the back seat. We were a bit dubious but decided to take the risk. How pleased were we that we did. He took us all over the place and showed us all sorts of things we would never have seen without him. He also told us where to stay and told us to go to Jo's diner for dinner that night. Jo's diner?  We thought that sounded a bit dubious too but decided to give it a go. What a wonderful night we had!! Jo, the owner, was the nicest bloke and made us feel so welcome. We had a lovely meal ..... in fact we had three courses each. Jo wouldn't have it that we miss out on sweets. Apart from one other table, at which a gentleman sat by himself, we were the only diners there. Jo sat with us and talked, non stop, the whole time we were there. The gentleman at the other table didn't say a word to us but after he paid Jo for his meal he came to our table, put his hand on my husband's shoulder, and said "Don't judge all Americans by the ones you see in Australia" and he left.  We were a bit puzzled but Jo told us that he was a bit of a loner and a bit weird but a good bloke. At the end of the night when we went to pay for our meal Jo told us that there was nothing to pay as the gentleman had paid the bill for us. There were 3 of us and we had 3 courses each. Not a small bill. We were lost for words. We asked Jo for his name and phone number or address but he said he didn't know where he lived. He only came to the restaurant occasionally and always sat alone, said nothing, just ate and left quietly. What to do???? I felt dreadful that I couldn't thank him. I asked Jo for pen and paper and wrote a very long thank you note with our name, address and phone number and said if he was ever in Australia to contact us. We NEVER heard from him. We also NEVER forgot his kindness and always have wonderful memories of our short stay in Mount Morris. This was not the only act of kindness shown to us on that trip. We were invited to the holiday home (in the Adirondacks) of a couple we met in a restaurant in New York city for a barby or cookout as they called it but we couldn't go. When we arrived home to Australia we received, in the post, a beautiful book on the Adirondack ranges from this couple and every few months we would receive another beautiful  book on another area of the States from them. They were older people and we kept in touch with them for many years. After visiting Niagara falls we traveled all over the place and what a wonderful time we had. We also went to Canada and enjoyed every minute of that as well. I must admit I was VERY pleased to arrive home and we have not been back since but what wonderful memories I have of that trip and the beautiful countryside and the wonderful people we met. AND Mount Morris  will always be very special to me. One day we will return. 

How was that Charlie?  Did I ramble too much? I kept it pretty short, I think?  Ok ..... not short enough, aye? Sorry everyone!!

Crikey ..... thank goodness that's over, aye?   I won't bore you anymore by my ramblings. I'll just add a few pictures and pretend it's wordless Wednesday. 
Our Jen and our Lucy on graduation day!! Lucy was such a little puppy Mum and Dad couldn't leave her home alone. She ate those tassles!!

My new lookout point ... any great whites out there?????

A new friend I met at the beach. Stella ..... we have a great time running and wrestling.  She's a great looker, aye?? It's platonical though!!
Dad was playing golf the other day and stopped playing to take a picture of this little bloke. His Mum is relaxing on the fairway. This bloke must be looking for Dad's ball. It ended up in there somewhere!


Wanna run ... Love, Charlie. 



39 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you had a great time in the States. I've been to many of the places you mentioned, and also had a great time. I'm a homebody too, but feel the need to visit Australia to see what good times are down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia has lots of good times. Please come for a visit. We could show you around!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Gail too is always telling me what a great time she had when she worked in Oklahoma for two years, and how incredibly warm and friendly everyone was, and how much she enjoyed exploring the country, especially the magnificent National Parks in the West. Although she does say that they are much stricter there about where you can take dogs and let them off the lead, so I am not sure it is the place for me.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.
    PS Gail is, or course, going all gooey over the picture of puppy Lucy. Really, I can't think why she finds it even remarking on, that a wee WFT pup is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Bertie ..... my Mum always ooohs and ahhhhhs over puppies too. Especially WFT puppies. Weird, aye?? She wants me to put more photos of our Lucy and our Harri on MY blog. Fair dinkum ....... Mums!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Charlie! Yu gonna haveta nip this takeofur in the bud! Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile!

    On the uther paw, it wuz a nice story yur Mum rote there. Glad they enjoyed their journeys an got treated nice like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're dead right Zoe ...... I gotta stop her right now. On the uther paw as you put it, why the heck did you have to give her encouragement .... telling her it was a nice story? She'll get a big head and I'll never get my blog back ..... really Zoe .... what were you thinkin'?

      Delete
  4. Crikey Charlie... we can't believe that your mum would Dare to take over YOUR blog like this. BUTT we gotta admit that she did a MARVELOUS job of telling about their trip. Our mom and dad have been to DisneyLand and to New York City and to Niagra Falls so they would understand the PLACES... Butt the impawtant thingy is that your mum and dad got to KNOW the REAL people of this country.
    We will be the FURST to say... there are some very BAD folks here... butt they are FAR outshadowed by the GOOD Ones. New York State looks a LOT like Our State (Ohio) butt we don't have the mountains or the FALLS.
    Did we ever tell you that in 2008 a lady from Manilla, NSW came to visit an internet Pen Pal... who lived in the little town near US? We met this lady (BARB) and became furends. We are STILL furends. We LOVE you Aussies. YOU are Warm Friendly Loving Caring and Giving folks. Barb taught our mom how to Cook Lamb the Aussie way... and how to make Bubble and Squeak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Frankie and Ernie ..... you too?? Stop the encouragement NOW, aye?? I'll NEVER get my blog back!! She's already making plans and I don't like them. Mum and Dad did LOVE your country and did meet so many lovely people.
      You met people from Manilla?? That's a great little country town. I've been there! Barb taught your Mom how to cook bubble and squeak? I LOVE bubble and squeak and so does my Mum. Thanks for all the nice words about Aussies but just like you we got some bad ones here too but also like you we've got far more good ones than bad ones. Think it's the same everywhere, aye?? Bubble and squeak ...... Muuuuuuuuuuuum!!!! I want bubble and squeak ...... NOW!!

      Delete
  5. We loved the states too back in our travelling days but we are also home buddies now. That was quite an adventure in the big smoke. Love seeing the roo. Have a tremendous Thursday,
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly .... I have a tremendous day, everyday but I did have a good Thursday! I went to the beach and it was the most beautiful day. That little roo was real cute, aye? There's heaps of them on Dad's golf course. I'd be too frightened of getting hit by a golf ball to take a nap.

      Delete
  6. You know - the first time our Mom came to the USA she had all these ideas about what America was like (from years of watching TV american shows) Like country - there are plenty of safe places and some places you just know where not to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Reilly and Denny ... Mum's got another story about getting lost and ending up in a very BAD place but I'm NOT letting her take over my blog again. No way!! Not EVER!! No ..... it's NOT going to happen.

      Delete
  7. Glad your mom and family enjoyed Disneyland. My peeps were there a long, long time ago. The peeps have also gone to New York and it was cold and rainy, but then it was December, BOL. Thanks for letting your momma take over your blog. We enjoyed the entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy ..... not you too. It was a terrible entry, Buddy!! You don't want to hear from her again ...... RIGHT??

      Delete
  8. Hi Charlie. Thank you so much for the wonderful report on WNY. Mt Morris is about 40 miles from us, and it is a nice little town. The Finger Lakes are nearby and the whole region is great for growing grapes for wine. My Mom grew up in Niagara Falls and our Oma still lives there. But that town is a bit of a wreck right now with all the construction. We usually visit in winter, when the tourist season is over. We hope to someday be able to visit Australia, and love seeing all your beautiful photos! Thanks again! As we say here, see ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Oma*! That's a word I know! Are you from Dutch or German heriyage? My growlmy's pawrents were from the Netherlands.
      She herself grew up in Southern Ontario, and Niagara falls has oft been a number one choice when deicing where to go for a day trip. Finger lakes are beautiful, too. Even on rained out trips...just ask growlmy & auntie about that....way back in 1978...OMD!
      Nice to meet you, too!

      Delete
    2. That should have been deciding where to go...not deicing...ha-ha...funny slip after our bad winter, LOL!

      Delete
    3. It was a pleasure Chester. I'm glad you enjoyed my story. We would love to see you out here in Australia ..... Charlie's Mum.
      Crikey Mum stop it. It's MY BLOG .... I'll do the replies if you don't mind!!
      See what you're doing to me Chester? I'm NEVER going to get my blog back!! Fair dinkum ..... why me?????

      Deicing Mr JF Sir .... funny alright. Was Growlmy just back from her work when she was typing this for you? Dutch or German heriyage????????? I think Chester's Mum works in the same kinda place as Growlmy does. I think I read that on one of Chester's posts.

      Delete
    4. Yup...she was. And she missed that typo, BOL!

      Delete
  9. We HATES givin our blog up to ours MOMMA but sometimes we just HAF to cos she controls the food around here.....wesa so glad you had a great visit in the good ole USA, we sure wish we could have met you folks!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey .... I'm sure my folks would have loved to meet you too. My Mum can starve me if she likes ....... I'm NOT doing it again ...... I'm not .....NO WAY!!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Once Growlmy & a co-worker were walking & rather lost in the Chicago area by the lakeshore, and some lady told us to get in her car, presumably to get us out of a rather sleazy area...and she gave us a tour that no tour guide could have held a candle to.

    You just nevfur know!

    Fun way for your Mum to take over your blog, Charlie!

    Super lookout you got there!

    Can I bark your roos??

    WOOFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't fun Mr JF Sir ..... it's NOT going to happen again ..... it's MY BLOG!! She already wants to tell you another story about getting lost in one of those sleazy areas as you called them. NO WAY .... it's MY BLOG!!
      The lookout is mine. I found it all by myself. IT'S FUN .... Mum's takeover of my blog was NOT fun!!
      Bark away, mate ..... bark away!! Roos are good barkin' aye??

      Delete
  11. It's good your pawrents visited other areas other than LA. SHE's from the east coast.

    SHE loves to travel and the thing SHE loves is the people all around the world who are so kind and just trying to live a good life. You get such bad impressions of the world from the press. it's the people SHE finds much more memorable than the sights.

    XXXOOO Bella, Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum and Dad loved everywhere they went but preferred the east coast. They met really wonderful people everywhere though and Mum reckons SHE is right. The people were more memorable than the sights but the sights were VERY good too.
      Why am I saying this? Now I'm encouraging her ..... what's with me???? it's MY BLOG!!

      Delete
  12. Charlie dude, hope ya got paid in treats for dat takeover, BOL!

    But dat are nice dat your peeps had a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. My momma are squeein over da Lucy picture. Between dis and da pictures of Macdui, I fink my pals are tryin to give my momma puppy fever.

      Delete
    2. I got paid Nothing Whitley ..... NOTHING!!!!! Just threats of more takeovers. Hmmmmmmmmmmph!! We'll see about that ... I haven't got MY icecream yet ..... you know ..... the one I was promised when we were on holidays and that was a million years ago!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Forgot the P.S. .... Mum already wants to put more pictures of our Harri and our Lucy on MY blog. Fair dinkum ..... This has got to stop ..... NOW!!
      My Mum's squealing over Macdui too. She wants a puppy real bad. That's not going to happen either. Not if I have my way!!

      Delete
  13. Just tell yer folks dat if dey evfur makes it to Texas, don't expect it to look like mosta da movies dat are "supposed" to be set here... they's really shot in Southern California or Arizona or sometimes, da Four Corners area.
    All of which look nuthin' like anywhere in Texas...bol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They reckon they're going Finley. They don't expect it to look like in the movies. They DO expect it to look like your photos. Especially the blue bonnet photos. Guess they best go in spring, aye??

      Delete
  14. Glad everyone had fun and it wasn't too wordy sometimes we just have to give a chance to get it all out.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sully ...... IT WAS SO TOO WORDY!!!!!!!! It's MY BLOG ..... not hers!!!!!!! I want it back ....... NOW!!

      Delete
  15. My Mommy had a good time in New York too. She has been there three times for dog shows. In the fall there is a big terrier show at Montgomery County. As well there were others shows including The American Minature Schnauzer Club Soecialty. Mommy used to be a member of the American Minature Schnauzer Club. She would fly into New York City, rent a car and drive all over to the shows. It was always in the fall and the country side was beautiful with all the different colours of leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Jelly ..... My Mum loves going to dog shows. She used to show dogs when she was young. She would love to go to Westminster. Maybe one year, aye??

      Delete
  16. It's amazing Charlie how a lot of us Aussies (not me) look at the USA..our daughter went to work at Camp Schodack in New York when she was 18..she turned 19 the day after she arrived..she loved it! and said she felt safer in New York thank in Melbourne..i did panic when she would ring and say she was jogging in Central Park....too much CSI hahahahah :) great post mum and great pics too have a great night Charlie :) hugs Fozziemum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fozziemum .... Mum felt VERY safe in New York. I guess there's good parts and bad parts just like in Melbourne.

      Delete
    2. I guess so Charlie :) xxx

      Delete
  17. Charlie Thank goodness you had a good time in the USA, I would hate to think you were treated badly. Glad you went for excursion because then you truly get to know the people.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete