Monday 13 October 2014

Mum's BIG birthday!!

While Mum was overseas and I was being neglected she celebrated her 87 millionth birthday (see I told you she was OLD) with some very dear friends that live in Holland. They lived in Australia 10 years ago for 6 years and Mum met them at a dog park and they have been friends ever since so Mum thought it would be nice to celebrate her birthday with them.  She told me all about it and I thought it was very funny so I thought you might like to hear about it too.  Also Mum's been dying to take over my blog with her holiday pictures and I wouldn't let her so this might just get her off my back a bit, aye??  Before I pass it over to Mum thought you might like to see the supa dupa collar Mum and Dad bought back for me from Holland. Pretty neat, aye??  AND NOW ...... to the story as told by Mum!!

Do I look good or what??
What a beautiful morning my 70th birthday turned out to be. Yes 70th!!  I can't believe it, either.  I certainly don't feel 70. At least not until I look in a mirror which I try, very hard, not to do very often. We were staying with Michel and Lisette in Wognum, Holland. Before we could settle down for breakfast my phone started buzzing and I spent quite some time reading and answering text messages etc. from family members back home. Lisette sat me down in a big hammock chair in front of the television set and told me she had a present for me from our Jenni back home.

That's the hammock chair. Glad those blokes let Mum in the room without a fight, aye??
Crikey ..... c'mon Mum!!  First Enid and a big black dog and now you??  Mum reckons Job was a gentle giant.  I'm not so sure.
It was a beautifully packaged video she had done for me for my birthday with all the little girls and Murphy and Miss Poppy PooPoo Pants wishing me a happy birthday. What a beautiful job she did of it. It went for about twenty minutes and was very entertaining.  What a lovely surprise even though a few tears were shed watching it.  Jenni had also been in touch with Charmaine and asked her to email me a photo of Charlie which she did. Not just any old photo of Charlie. She had a cake with a 70 candle on it and a birthday banner and there was my Charlie sitting up at the table. More tears!!

From Charmaine!!
After a delicious Dutch breakfast of fresh orange juice, waffles, fresh strawberries and cream, fresh bread rolls, cheese and coffee we set off for a drive through the countryside ending up in the touristy village of Volendam.

Volendam is known for its old fishing boats and traditional clothing which is still worn today by some residents. 


For my birthday Lisette had arranged a photographic session where we were to dress in traditional clothing and pose for the camera.  Way out of my comfort zone but what could I say and how pleased I am now that we did it as I have a lovely framed photo of the four of us to remind me of a really wonderful day.

After a light lunch we headed back to Wognum, again via beautiful Dutch countryside, where Michel and Lisette's two dogs (Cane Corso Italianos) and 3 horses were waiting for us. It was such a beautiful warm day we decided to have dinner outside and sat watching the dogs and horses play ball together. Yes ..... you heard right. One of the horses picks a soccer like ball up in his mouth and proceeds to taunt the dogs with it.  He finally lets it go and the male dog, Job, sneaks in to the horse yard, grabs the ball and runs around like a mad thing with it until someone takes it from him and throws it back into the horse yard and the game starts all over again.  The horse is the boss and will not part with the ball until he is ready. Very funny to watch.

Two of the horses in the house yard.  Good lookin' blokes, aye?

All three in their own yard.
After dinner Michel kept me occupied with the animals while Lisette and her partner in crime (my husband) went inside to tend to the birthday cake.  Lisette had made and decorated a beautiful cake AND had 70 candles for it which she proceeded to light.  70 candles. Is she mad or what?? I believe it took a lot of doing and horror of horrors the cake started to melt. They called Michel and me in, quick smart, so as to blow the candles out before the cake disappeared altogether. This I did but not before another ALMOST drama. 70 candles may have taken a lot of lighting but they also took a lot of blowing out and I have long hair which I didn't have tied back. I could hear Michel yelling at me.  He thought my hair was going to go up in flames and it very nearly did. After all that excitement a bottle of french champagne was opened and we headed back outdoors to enjoy a peaceful evening and a lovely end to a very memorable and enjoyable birthday.

Looks good enough to eat, aye?  Too many candles though!!

Michel opening the Champers and Lisette decandling the cake.
Well ... I thought it was funny. Would have been even funnier if her hair HAD caught fire, aye, but I had to settle for ALMOST.   Crikey ..... I sure hope that satisfied her and now we don't have to be inundated with endless holiday photos. There's just one more she wants to show you. It was taken just at the back of Lisette and Michel's house and even I've gotta say it's a pretty neat photo.


Wanna run .... love, Charlie.

49 comments:

  1. Looks like you Mom had a wonderful time - even if she was away from you Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she even gave me a thought Reilly and Denny. Too busy enjoying HERSELF!!

      Delete
  2. OMD!!!
    Growlmy has been to Volendam!
    All those villages and small towns there are so quaint and they ll have their own history to tell about. Fishing villages and others along the seashore & dykes are so furry interesting indeed!

    Those cows, OMD! They are staring out at you on the other side of the water...good thing, else they might saunter over to lick you with their long slurpey tongues.
    So cute to see them lined up like that, and even they have somehow coordinated their colors a bit, too. BOL! MOOOOO!

    Imagine having horses in the frontyard! How fun to have a gaming horse! And with the doggies. Sweet!


    Long time ago, pawppy's Mom was having a large number birthday. (75 or 80, growlmy furgot...ahem...) Growlmy baked a cake and put on all the required candles. Brought it to the table, lit the candles and OMD! Almost burnt the kitchen down. The little flames all joined together and tried to make a column of flame to reach the ceiling...YIKES!

    This village you were in is quite close to Den Helder which is where some furry good furends of growlmy came from. They live in Canada, now.

    Thanks fur the great tour! Makes growlmy want to go back there again, she hasn't been there since 2008...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and that slagroom...Mmmm!There is more than one creature drooling here, BOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Mr JF Sir ... Growlmy has been to Volendam?? That made Mum happy that she chose that village for the photos. There are so many beautiful villages and as Growlmy says they all have their own little stories to tell.

      The horses are so friendly and beautiful. Lisette has carriages and she was very disappointed that the big bloke had thrown a shoe just before Mum and Dad arrived so they couldn't go for a carriage ride. They did, however, take the dogs and horses for a walk every morning. The horses on leads just like the dogs. Lisette and Michel do not have enough land for the horses so they take them every morning to a neighbour's property where they spend the day and they collect them each night. Mum's a bit wary of horses usually but these blokes were so gentle she even walked one of them. The dykes fascinated Mum and the fact that you could just wander all over the place along the dyke walls. You could walk for miles.

      Mum reckons Holland is very beautiful and she hopes Growlmy gets to go back there again soon.

      Delete
    2. I could have done with some of that slagroom while Mum was away. Mighn't have lost quite so much weight, aye??

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Mrs Charlie Mommy! It looks like you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very lovely day with beautiful friends, thankyou Jelly!!

      Delete
  5. Those are some pawsome pictures. And those cows, suddenly I got a cravin for steak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Travis ..... it's all about food with you, aye??? You got hollow legs or something?????

      Delete
  6. Belated Happy Birthday wishes to Charlie's Mum
    And Charlie, did you get any of that cake ?
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Princess ..... I did ..... but don't tell Mum, aye??

      Delete
  7. Looks like your momma had a fun birthday. Well, as fun as she could have wifout you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmmmph!! I don't think she gave much thought to me, Whitley.

      Delete
  8. Sheesh! Volendam still dresses in traditional costumes. SHE was there AGES ago.... Great way to celebrate a birthday. Glad you were there even if it was only in a photo! And we hope you got some of that photo prop cake.

    Anyway, everyone's home again....for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It better be more than a while. I did get some of the cake. Charmaine would have given me anything to make me eat.
      Crikey ..... SHE's been to Volendam too. Popular place, aye??

      Delete
  9. Looks like mum had a fabulous time and we loved the horse story and OMD thank dog her hair did not catch on fire. What a lovely sounding day and mum has the video as a reminder. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND the photo of her and Dad and her friends all dressed up and looking like REAL Dutch people. She sure had a good day, aye??

      Delete
  10. What is it about moms and dads going on vacation without us, dogs??? My mom and dad had been out to dinner - yes you are right - without me, can you imagine that. But your mom seemed to have a great birthday - even you weren't there.
    I think it's a great picture you had sent her with you at the table. So she could sit there with his bad conscience LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she felt bad when she saw me sitting there all ALONE and unloved while she was having a good time, Laika. Your Mom and Dad went out dinner without you?? Crikey ..... I hope you didn't make a fuss of them when they got home.

      Delete
  11. Hari OM
    FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY CHARLIE MATE - YOU ARE LOOKING SMASHING AND I MEAN F A B - YOU- LUSS WITH THAT NEW COLLAR...

    Thank you for letting mum share her birthday with us (albeit belated) and I add my voice to the congrats and wishes. I have a number of Dutchie mates myself and have visited different parts of the Netherlands - mum certainly got some excellent photos. I agree with you, that last one is something of a winner!

    Now go waggle that tassle, mate, you never know who you'll attract! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Aunty ..... how good are you?? I didn't think anyone was interested in ME anymore but you are, aye?? I'm glad you like my new collar. I think it's very befitting for me. I LOVE tossing that tassle thingie around!! It doesn't seem to be doing too much as far as attracting the canine sheilas but the humans I come in contact with all tell me what a good lookin' bloke I am. As long as my Enid thinks I look handsome I'll be happy.
      I've got to confess, on behalf of Mum, that she didn't take that last photo. Michel stumbled across those cows all lined up on his early morning walk and took the photo. Mum did meet the cows, however. That's kinda a once in a lifetime photo opportunity, aye? Well for amateur photographers anyway. Professionals seem to manage them all the time.

      Delete
    2. ...heheheh, that's what they would have you believe mate... but what they don't tell you is it took several days and 1000s of frames to get THE ONE shot you see... No loss to mum at all! Yxx

      Delete
  12. Wow Charlie! Yu did a real good job posin fur the birthday piccie. An yur new collar is real cool!
    Happy belated birthday Mrs.CharlieMum! Whut a great time yu had.
    We wudn't mind seein more of yur vaca piccies, if Charlie wud let yu post stuff in his bloggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Zoe ..... I didn't think anyone was interested in ME anymore but you are. Thanks for being my friend. You're the best!! It is a pretty neat collar, aye?? Mum says thanks for the belated birthday wishes. She did have a good time, aye?? I MIGHT let her put some more pics up but only if SHE'S GOOD!! Wonder if I could get a roast lamb dinner out of her in exchange for blog space, aye??

      Delete
  13. ♫ HAPPY BELATED BIRFDAY TO YOUR MOM ♫

    THAT was a super special Cake.

    OMD we love the horse and dog ball playing thingy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum says thanks for the birthday wishes Frankie and Ernie. That was VERY nice of you. Dad took a video of the horse and dog ball game. If Mum can ever work out how to put it in a video she will post it but I wouldn't hold my breath!!

      Delete
  14. aaww Happy birthday to your mom! Give her hogs and snout kisses from this little oinker. XOXO - Bacon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Bacon ..... hogs and snout kisses. Mum'll be delighted with that. She babysat Miss G. and Poppy PooPoo Pants the other day. Poppy gives those snout kisses too. You blokes sure are affectionate, aye?? Mum has a great photo of Poppy cleanin' up after Georgia had dinner. She must post it for you.

      Delete
  15. Happy late birthday to your Mum Charlie! Looks like she had a real special day!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey & Hazel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum says thanks for the wishes Mr Bailey and Hazel. that was very nice of you!!

      Delete
  16. We have a feeling mom had a super duper birthday, WITHOUT you!!
    Snorts
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmmmph!! She sure did. I don't know how she could have though. Just shows that I love her more than she loves me, aye??

      Delete
  17. 70? I can't believe that... it's a misspelling, right? Have a happe belated birthday and may every day as beautiful as this day you had in Volendam (with Charlie on your side, I'm sure it come true)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Easy ..... Mum can't believe it either but it's TRUE!! 70!!! That's a lot of numbers, aye?? Thankyou for such lovely birthday wishes for Mum . She VERY much appreciates them and she does try to make every day special with me by her side.

      Delete
  18. Looks like you mum had a lot of birthday fun!! At least she brought you back a fancy collar from Holland.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she did have fun Sully and its just as well she bought me back something. I'd really like a brother or sister but I s'pose I'll just have to settle for a collar, aye??

      Delete
  19. Happy birthday. What wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum says a big thankyou for the birthday wishes. That was VERY nice of you!! She did have a good time, aye??

      Delete
  20. We are sooo happy that you feel great!!! We wish you a happy birthday-- and want you to keep feeling young and vibrant and happy!!! Thank you for coming into our lives!!

    You did you know!!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwww Tweedles ..... you ALWAYS say the nicest things! Mum thanks you for the birthday wishes and says to tell you she still feels young and happy. She's not so sure about the vibrant bit though. Her Mum is 96 and still going strong so hopefully Mum will be around for a good many years yet. Good genes, I guess. It's so good to have you for a friend!!

      Delete
  21. Happy birfday to your mum Charlie! Wow, that was a beautiful cake. Of course that is a spiffy collar she brought back for you too! Stanley really liked that last photo. He has this thing about cows, he really likes them.

    Your Super Doodz Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Murphy ..... Mum says thanks for the birthday wishes. That was very nice of you. I'm glad Stanley liked the cow photo. I did too. I've got a thing about cows too. What is it about cows? I like 'em a lot and so does Mum. She's got some beaut photos she took of cows in Germany. They are real tame over there and they all wear bells. Mum stopped to pat them all the time. The cows over here aren't friendly but I still like 'em.

      Delete
  22. Wow! What a great time! We loved seeing all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's plenty more where they came from. Boring I say!! BUT I s'pose I might let her show a few more one day.

      Delete
  23. HAPPY 29th BIRTHDAY MUM.......wow, now thats a place to visit....Barharhar 70 thousand candles and the hair ALMOST caught fire......!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  24. Misty does the math.
    70 / 7 = 10 right!!

    Happy Belated Bday Mrs. Charlie's Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whut wunnerful pichurs ob yur pawents twip, Charwie! Fanks fur 'llowin' us tu see dem! Yu wook SO sad in dat pichur wif da cake. I hope it haunts yur peeple fur yeerz an' yeerz!!!! BOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Habby Bewated Birfday, Charwie's Mum! Momma maded me say dat nastee stuff 'bout hauntin'. I wood neber be so meen.

    ReplyDelete