Wednesday 25 January 2017

Endangered species challenge!!

Crikey ..... I'm joining in on Louis endangered species challenge and I'm going to tell you a little bit about Australia's northern hairy-nosed wombat. It comes from Queensland, a state of Australia.  I come from Queensland too. I was born in Townsville but I live in Noosa Heads now.  The hairy-nosed wombat is one of the rarest land mammals in the world and is CRITICALLY endangered.  There's hardly any of them left for many reasons but can you guess what is the main cause of them disappearing? Well apart from disease, floods, droughts bushfires and habitat loss I'm afraid to say WILD DOGS are the main predators of these funny, clumsy looking, adorable animals. How bad is that???  I sure wouldn't want to try and take one down. They've got real hard bums and they poo square poos.  Now if you wanna know more about those two facts just ask me and I'll do anther post later.    They might be slow and pretty little but they sure look tough.  They are growing in numbers again now (very slowly) because there have been a number of conservation projects put in operation over recent years with fenced areas for them. It would be good to see lots more of them, aye??  They are cute little blokes. What do you think??



Mum pinched these photos but the site said they were free so she thought it was ok.  Crikey I hope she's right.  
Louis wanted me to put a photo of me with my endangered species of choice on this post but, my very ancient Secretary, can't do all that fancy stuff so I thought I'd just put some photos of me in my search for the hairy nosed bloke.   I did go looking for him and thought I'd found him at one stage.  It WAS a wombat I found. Just not a northern hairy-nosed wombat.  There are 3 kinds of wombats in Australia and only the hairy-nosed bloke is endangered.

First I looked here!
But then I heard a noise!!

Look can you see him??
Mum biggefied it a bit. Can you see him now??
If she were really clever like some of you she would show you with an arrow thingoe.  Unfortunately she's not that clever.  Our little girls know more about this stuff than my Mum.
I chose the northern hairy-nosed wombat as MY endangered species because he comes from the same  place I do.  Crikey .... I hope I don't get endangered.  Those wild dog's scare the living daylights out of me.

Wanna run .... Love, Charlie.

31 comments:

  1. Wombats are cool critters that deserve more recognition! I wish we could get some wombat bloggers here in Blogville, BOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Christmas ..... how good would that be??????

      Delete
  2. Square poos??? Now dat are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah .... I thought so too. Makes you wonder about the exit hole, aye??

      Delete
  3. Wombats are sort of cute in a funny sort of way:) Thanks for telling us about them. Now we really do wonder how they do square poops???

    Woos - Lightning and Misty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are cute. My Dad loves 'em. whenever we are in wombat country we go searching for them and we ALWAYS get a thrill when we see one. Way too many of them get killed on our roads cause they just meander along at a slow old pace. It shouldn't happen because it's usually known where they are. If only people would slow down in these areas. Most people do but there's always the loonies.

      Delete
  4. Mom watches videos of wombats she they're the cutest. Good pick, Charlie. Happy Aussie day.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Sully ..... you're Mom watches videos of our wombats?? She and my Dad would make a great pair. He LOVES 'em. thanks for the Aussie day wishes. That was so nice of you. I got some pavlova this morning. Yummo!!

      Delete
  5. Charlie, if you didn't have your leash on, would you have ducked down the burrow in pursuit of the hairy nosed bloke? Even you must be impressed by the wombat's digging skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Andrew ..... no way!! Have you seen those blokes?? They are built like tanks.
      Happy Australia Day, Andrew. Did you get pavlova for brekky? I did.

      Delete
    2. No pav for me Charlie. Lucky you.

      Delete
  6. There darling Charlie. It scary how our plant is changing. Right now our moose have some type of ticks that effect there liver.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey Dora .... that's no good. We have ticks here that kill us. They are called paralysis ticks. I wish they were endangered.

      Delete
  7. Those wombats are too cool, we loved learning more about it!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry that dogs, ok, wild dogs are the reson that this wombat guys are endangered... I wish the wild pups would change their menu plan... they are no food, they are cute...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wombat is too cute! Square poos? How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they's amazingly cute!!!
    And square poops...wow...I finks I might just go and see if that's possible!!!!!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are really cute, hope they don't become extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMD CRIKEY CHARLIE... SQUARE POOPS????? We want to know ALL about THAT??? SQUARE??? If WE pooped Square our mom would FREAK OUT and want to have it FRAMED... "BUTT" we digress...
    This is a very exciting thingy that Louis D. Armstrong came up with... we LOVE that Blogville has gotten the word out about some Animals and Insects and Birds that are in DANGER of Extinction... We hope it helps them to LIVE fur EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I never heard of that animal before. Thanks for telling us about them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlie, those wombats are so cute! They have squished little faces...awwww, how sad they are so endangered. Do they really poop square poops?!? How do they do that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those wombats are quite adorable
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crikey Charlie,
    Well I'll be a wombat's auntie they are adorable. And you saw one in real life in the wild. That is super duper
    Hugs madi your best kitty matey

    ReplyDelete
  17. My peeps saw a wombat in the Taronga Zoo, but don't think it was a northern hairy nosed one, and didn't check out it's poop ! I don't think they saw any in the wild.
    Good luck with your challenge, Charlie.
    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always remember the wombat in A Country Practice, he was a movie star don't think he was a hairy nose one,
    Merle,,,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, we never met a wombat before!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMD, how FABulous Charlie!!! Ma thinks they are adorables! I don't knows, they look a little sleepy and drunk to me! BOL!!! (don't ask me how I would know....hehehehe)
    Anyhu, FABulous Postie, and I would stear clear of them if you saw one in the wild...I thinks they could do some damage!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I ever come to Australia, I want to see a wombat! And a kangaroo and a dog called Charlie. Although I'm not sure when Mara has saved enough money for us to come!

    Brom from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMD!!! Now how sad it is that this critter is in trouble on account of our wild cousins. What a shame.

    Square doo-doo, OMD, BOL!!

    The one you found looks a tad bigger??


    Petcretary *tried* to make a pavlova for our New Year's dinner...um...nevfurmind...don't ask...It tasted fine...but...um...well a flop is putting it mildly,BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really a beautiful blog.It is very astonishing and marvelous design.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete